PC of Colonel KRUG or “Bunker Hunter”

This blockhouse is the command center of the regiment.

During the assault of June 6, 1944, the armored bell was neutralized by Private Hunter during a particularly risky action. The blockhouse was named “Hunter bunker” in his honor, a plaque having been unveiled in his presence on June 6, 1999. It was also in this bunker that Colonel Krug and his men remained hidden during the night of June 6 to June 7, 1944 before surrendering.

The blockhouse is a shelter for a command post, of the Regelbau 608 type modified by the addition of an armored observation bell. The two entrances, individually protected by a firing slot, are taken in a row by a close defense post. Opposite the entrances, two storage bays have also been added compared to the standard model.

In addition to the armored bell, the surroundings of the blockhouse were also covered by an attached tobruk.

Equipped with a filtered mechanical ventilation system (7), the bunker has several specialized rooms: transmission room (10); rest area (3) and office (4).

After clearing the blockhouse of the rubble that cluttered it, the association undertook to partially restore its initial state. Thus, the armored dome scrapped after the war was reconstituted in concrete.

Near the dome, a narrow concrete shaft plunges vertically from the surface to several meters deep. He ensured the maintenance of the site’s drainage system.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content